Sunday, June 8, 2008

Tantré Farm: Week 2

A picture worth a thousand bites.

This leafy bounty brought to you courtesy of my Week 2 share box. The above is composed of green and red leaf lettuces and will provide me with my work lunches all week. A couple big handfuls of this mix, some sliced radishes, homemade low-fat salad dressing, and I have the best-tasting salad in town.

This week's share continued the leafy greens theme of last week:
  • spinach
  • broccoli raab
  • lettuce
  • braising mix
  • radishes
  • green onions
  • garlic scapes
  • lemon sorrel
Wednesday I had less than an hour to throw together something for dinner before I had to go to opera rehearsal. I invented something on the spot that turned out surprisingly well. I sauteéd some onions and garlic in olive oil, added a splash of chicken broth, put the entire bunch of broccoli raab into the pan, covered it, and allowed the greens to wilt. I added the braising mix, spinach, and some chopped-up garlic scapes. By that time the whole-wheat penne was finished, so I threw it on top of the pile of greens and let the heat of the pasta wilt the spinach. A bit of tossing to get everything mixed and I had a lovely healthy dinner with plenty of time to spare before I had to leave.

This morning for brunch I made another vegetable frittata, using spinach, green onions, shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, and some of the lovely brown eggs from Back Forty Acres. Completing our wonderful brunch was bacon from our Back Forty Acres hog and Zingerman's Whole Wheat Farmhouse bread. Talk about a locally-derived meal. The only foods from outside a very tight circle were the shallots and sun-dried tomatoes. If I had left those out, everything we ate for breakfast this morning came from within 20 miles of here, with two sources only 10 minutes away (Tantré and Back Forty, which incidentally are about 2 miles apart).

I'm feeling pretty good about the food I'm putting on my table these days.

1 comment:

Jen said...

It's a nice feeling, isn't it? Those sound like wonderful meals.