Friday, August 15, 2008

Blueberry Pancakes

The end result, served for breakfast at my parents' house in Ohio.

Blueberries ripe for the picking

Last week after work a co-worker, Lori, and I headed out to The Blueberry Patch, an organic blueberry farm in Grass Lake. I have driven past this establishment countless times in the past but never stopped. It was time! Time for ripe, luscious, sweet Michigan blueberries! I had never really thought about where blueberries came from before. I had an incorrect idea that they grew on vines or in watery bogs a la cranberries. Imagine my surprise when they turned out to grow on upright shrubs. I took these blueberries down to my parents' in Ohio last weekend where my dad turned them into fantastic blueberry pancakes. I collected almost three pounds of blueberries and have been eating them all week in my regular morning yogurt. I highly recommend the Blueberry Patch as a berry-picking destination for anyone in the Ann Arbor area.

Entrance to the blueberry bush area.

Ready for picking

Lori elbow-deep in ripe blueberries

Sampling the merchandise

Steve Toth, owner of the Blueberry Patch

Fresh Michigan blueberries, washed and ready to use

Blueberry pancakes on the griddle

Getting closer...

Ahhhh...perfection! Blueberry pancakes with a side of bacon and good strong coffee. Maple syrup courtesy of a neighbor who tapped the street's sugar maples and made her own syrup.

10 comments:

Jen said...

This is the exact breakfast we're having this morning, although our blueberries were from Carol, the blueberry/kettle corn/ices lady at the A2 Farmer's Market.

Anonymous said...

Last week, I made Jeffy blueberry pancakes (with blueberries from the farm) and my "Jew sausage" (which Jeff says tastes way different than pork sausage, but I wouldn't know) and eggs. Our men have it really, really good :)

Anonymous said...

Ahhh yes. It has taken me years to realize that you scatter the blueberries onto pancakes rather than mixing them into the batter. Blue pancakes are somehow not as appetizing.

Anonymous said...

So, we have the fresh-picked amazing blueberries here and I am ALWAYS up for pancakes but I am totally jealous that you have a neighbor who tapped the f-ing maple tree and made her own syrup. Will you send me some? =) ~K

Sun Runner said...

I think this year's batch of syrup is all but gone; my parents were lamenting that fact as we poured the final dribbles over our blueberry pancakes. I can put in a request for next year, though... :)

Maggie said...

The pancakes look wonderful but I'm in love with the woven archway to the farm!

My parent's have forested property in Baldwin, MI and there are wild blueberry bushes all over it. We didn't get a chance to get any this year but they are out of this world.

Matt said...

Maybe I'm posting on the wrong blog, but damn your quads are amazing! :)

Matt
Still Waiting...

Anonymous said...

Your life sounds heavenly!!

We call these 'flapjacks' in my city (I live in Cape Town, South Africa).

I love freshly picked blueberry's and can eat them on anything. Your breakfast has to be the perfect one!!! What bliss - did you know that they improve concentration? At least, I always believed it and bought mountains of the stuff for my youngest when he was writing exams .....

Thanks for this Sunday evening peek at a dream.

Anonymous said...

We made two trips to the Bluberry Patch this year. The berries make amazing jam too.

Recently, on a trip to Pennsylvania we happened upon a patch of wild blueberries. The 'bushes' were low to the ground and not very dense as they were covered by a canopy of trees. The blueberrys were very small, but kept my 4-year old very busy. He'd sit by a bush and pick it clean eating al the way. It was delightful.

MICHmash said...

Lovely pancakes! We pick blueberries there as well. You may be interested in Steve's newest adventure: "Donuts coffee and more..." Its a drive through coffee and donut shack boasting homemade donuts. I'll have to try it again, but the first visit was kind of disappointing...and I'm curious what the "more" is.