Thursday, March 6, 2008

Sesame Chicken with Soba Noodles

Monday night I was getting dinner ready (putting together my mise en place) when I said, "You know...I really don't feel like cooking. I need a break." John said, "Well, then I will do it. I can cook, you know."

And so we have: John Cooks. One night a week I will get a break from the chopping and stirring and standing in front of the stove as John, my husband, flexes his culinary muscle. His first endeavor was Sesame Chicken with Soba Noodles (Real Simple Magazine, April 2007), which is something I have made on several previous occasions. If you have never tried soba noodles, I highly recommend them.
  • 1 8-ounce package soba noodles
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 7-ounce package mixed greens
  • 3 carrots, cut into matchstick-size strips or shredded
  • 1/4 sweet onion, thinly sliced
Cook the soba noodles according to the package directions and rinse under cold water.

Cut the chicken into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Heat the soy sauce and brown sugar in a large skillet over medium heat. Working in batches, add the chicken and sauté until cooked through, about 1 1/2 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl and repeat with the remaining chicken.

Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the chicken and toss to coat.

In a small bowl, whisk together the ginger, vinegar, and oil. Divide the greens, carrots, and onion among individual plates. Top with the soba noodles and chicken. Serve with the vinaigrette.

Tip: To toast sesame seeds, cook them in a dry skillet over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer them immediately to a cool plate.

Yield: Makes 4 servings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good evening.
Time for my dumb question of the day:
Where would I find sesame seeds? Are they by the bread crumbs and such?

Sun Runner said...

I found mine in the "International Foods" aisle at the grocery store, in fact. I believe they are considered an Asian/Oriental ingredient.